Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Training Run- Guest Blogger (READ ME!)

So in one of my first posts, I explained that I had some great ideas for this blog and also some guest bloggers lined up, ready to wow you with their stories and humor.  It's a nice change of pace and some insight from other people going through training plans, diets, weight loss and even boob/sports bra issues.
So here's some background information about my guest blogger.  Her name is Shay (referred to in my blog previously as SBB) and I met her in 2009 through my ex-bf.  We quickly became friends the more time we spent together.  We went on a few vacations together and always had a blast baking ourselves in the sun, boozing or acting like total idiots.  She is also the devoted captain to the volleyball teams I play on.  Shay has a big personality and a whole lotta curly hair.  She adds much needed humor to my life and has easily become one of my closest friends.  We definitely related because we have both battled with our weight since we were kids and we still do.  She was actually one of the reasons I started running; she motivated me to do my first 5k over a year ago and I couldn't be more thankful that she did.  She stuck with me through the break-up with the ex in July and was always there for advice or for a much needed run date. She is a ball of energy and definitely a positive influence anytime I need a boost.  As far as her body goes, if you combined hers with mine, you'd have the perfect girl aka she is VERY blessed in the upper regions and I have the badunkadunk to match.  So here's a blog Shay wrote about her most recent training run to kick-off the Pittsburgh Marathon/Half Marathon. I procrastinated signing up for the training run and it filled up before I could join in on the fun. :(
Thank you for sharing this Shay and for being my first guest blogger. Kudos to you for pushing yourself during this run. You rock!

Training Run – Straining Run
Fun Fact about me: I am a member of the Steel City Road Runner Club.  This is a big deal for me; you see I’ve never been much of a runner.  One mile was ALWAYS a stretch, I had always worked out, but I was more of elliptical girl.  So, when I began this journey to be a “runner,” it was a big deal to me.  The reason I decided to join this run club, was mainly for the possible discounts you could get on certain races, you see I ran 8 races last year, and they cost, at minimum, about $20, so any money saved would be a benefit.  They also have these training runs throughout the week, although I have never really taken advantage of them.  The thing about running is, I don’t want it to take over my life, I am mean I really am a pretty busy person, and I want to be able to hang with my friends and run when I want, not pass up on friend fun just because I have a run scheduled.  Also, right now I really enjoy running and don’t want to have it take over my life to a point where I wouldn’t enjoy it.  However, recently I received an email from the Steel City Road Runners about a Marathon Training Kick-Off Run.  How exciting!  They had 2-4-6 mile legs, and while I am not really fully into my half-marathon training yet, I decided it would be a fun way to start, and so I signed up for the 4 mile run.
Today was the run, and from the moment I woke up, it was not a good day.  I get up at a bright and early 7am and head down stairs to make some breakfast, only to find that the Christmas tree had fallen over, ornaments and pine needles EVERYWHERE.  My friend Allison was due to meet me in 40 minutes to head to the run and I needed to eat and get ready, I did not have time for this.  So, I went upstairs to wake my mom and tell her about the tree (a blessing of still living at home J), so she can clean it up (and yes, I do feel guilty about that).  So, I proceed to eat breakfast and get ready.  Allison was supposed to meet me at my house at 740, 750, still no sign of her.  I try texting and calling her, and at 8 I decide I cannot wait any longer and leave.  (I did get a text from her a little after 8 that she over slept and to go on without her).  At this point I feel rushed, and I hate feeling rushed, I want to be able to get there, register and stretch some so I don’t pull a muscle (which is something I am ALWAYS prone to do).  I was supposed to meet my friend Sarah there, however she got lost on the way and never made it, I was in this alone.  I’m okay with that, it’s just a run; stick your headphones in and go, right??
So the race starts, and my Garmin running watch is still searching for a signal, so I just try to keep pace with the people in front of me, not a good idea!  When the Garmin does get booted up, at about 0.2 miles, I see I am running a 9 minute mile, not my pace AT ALL.  (I run about a 12 minute mile right now, I used to average about 10 minutes and under, but I recently had a foot injury that sidelined me for about a month and a half, and have not since fully recovered).  So, I decide to slow down to my pace, although wanting to push myself, I try to stick with an 11 minute mile.  Before long, the pack of runners moved so far a head of me, and I lose them.  I mean the leader they had for the 4 mile leg, was a small brown haired girl in a red shirt, really?  How am I supposed to keep her in sight, especially if she is running so fast!  Right now, the only thing in front of me is two girls.  So, we get to a point where you can go left up a hill onto a street or stay right on the trail, the girls go right, so I go right.  Some time later, I check my Garmin and see I am almost at 2 miles, almost time to head back.  A little later the girls in front of me turn around, I look at my Garmin and see I am at 2.2 miles, and there was no marker in sight to turn around and that pack of faster runners never passed me on their way back.   
At this point I am pretty sure we took the wrong way at the fork, but decide to just head back now.  Once I turn around, I can feel the frustration building in me, here are the thoughts going through my head:
“Why did you ever join a running club, you are not a runner.” 
“You are too slow to keep up with these people. “
“ You are going to be the last damn person to finish this training run!”
I want to cry.  The wind is now blowing against me so hard that I can hear it blowing past my face over my music!  Thankfully, my iPod must have sensed my mood shift, because it busts out with basically my new all time favorite running song: Miley Cyrus Party in the USA. This song always makes want to throw my hands up (hehe), sing loud and even throw in a cartwheel or two!  It then follows up with Kanye West, The New Workout Plan and Missy Elliott, Pass the Dutch, iPod you saved me!  I am now determined to get back.  I make a goal that even if I am the last person to finish, I will not finish more than 45 seconds after those girls in front of me, who were fairly far ahead of me.  I pick up my pace; only 10 minute miles or under, I can do this.  I not only finished the run, but I finished about 5 seconds after those girls! VICTORY!
Here is my mile break down of my total 4.2 miles:
Mile 1: 10:49
Mile 2: 11:13
Mile 3: 10:52
Mile 4: 10:07
Last 0.2 miles: 9.17 (I told you I kicked ass here)
Not spectacular, but my fastest miles were with the wind in my face, and I had a fast last 0.2 miles, so I am pretty darn proud.
This was not how I wanted my Training Kick-Off Run to start.  But there are positives to come from this.  I know that I am not a fast runner.  My fastest race ever was an 8:42 min/mile, that’s probably a jog in most people’s books, and it’s my milestone.  Honestly, I could afford to shed a few pounds and have annoyingly large boobs; I am not built for speed here people!  But I am strong willed and determined.  I feel that I have the heart and mind of a runner, I won’t quit, and I’ll find ways to push myself harder on each run I have.  Steel City Road Runners, you are lucky to have me as a member of your runners club!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out Trish :)

    Also, I would HIGHLY recommend running along the River Walk Trail for all runners. It was seriously such a nice course, pretty flat and you run right along the river!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Although, these will probably be limited to our weekend runs until it starts staying light later. I'm not all about running around in the dark, although I am sure it wouldn't be a concern in Mt. Lebo, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. are you guys in the SCRRC group on facebook? Apparently two women have been raped at gun point in North Park recently after doing morning runs. Shay, I know you run out there so you better be careful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It appears that the rapes were at a specific apartment complex in Ross Township, but this is terrifying. Please be careful. This is why I don't feel safe running alone outside in the morning or evening :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. be careful out there. t, we need to run sometime...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. fyi...the fleet feet runners group meets locally for group runs (for free) wed and saturdays as well. they are in the south hills. join them on fb for the emails. they run all kinds of pace groups so you never get left behind...they also do speed work at local hs tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's exactly what I need, support for slower paces :) Thanks Ron!

    ReplyDelete