Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Foam Rollers, GU's and Water Bottles, Oh My!

So much to blog about today, so this post might be a little lengthy and full of fun stuffs.  

First off, let's start with something pretty.  This weather has been unbelievable lately. This has been one of the best winters to train for a half marathon because it's been so mild.  Spring is in the air and flowers are starting to poke their pretty little heads up.  These are the first flowers showing up at my house.  
I didn't plant them, obviously.  I think I might get serious about gardening next year, when I have time to plan what I want to do with the yard.  This year will mainly be fixing up the inside of the house, next year will be the outside! One of the biggest things I need to learn is to space out my projects.  I'm the type of person that wants everything done, right now.  Immediate gratification, please.  Obviously with the house, I'm going to have to space things out and save my money to buy what I want.

Second, I purchased some new fun tools/items yesterday for my half marathon training.
I loaded up on these bad boys so that I can get some more practice with using them, making sure they are what I need to help me get to the finish line without bothering my stomach. 
A lovely hand held water bottle.  This makes me look like a real runner! Haha.  I'm nervous about using this, just because I don't like the thought of having to carry something when I do my long training runs, but after Sunday I realized just how important it is to hydrate, especially when the weather is warmer and I'm sweating more. I won't be using this on my shorter runs unless it's very hot.  This will mostly be a long run tool.
Foam Roller, take 1. Rolo was curious about this new thing and kept walking in front of my pictures. What a jerk!
Foam Roller, take 4.  Rolo botched takes 2 and 3. 

So, I've been reading about foam rollers and the benefits of using them, and honestly what could it hurt?  It's only going to make my performance better and help with my IT band issues.  It's win, win.  

It's also pain, pain.  MY GOD WAS IT PAINFUL!  I, fortunately for you, did not attempt to take any pictures of myself while rolling.  Although, a video of me wincing in pain would have probably been pretty amusing for you to watch.

So here's the article I read and tried to emulate while rolling.
I also read this blog entry
And watched her foam rolling video here. Watch this and you'll see just how painful it is.

I didn't really experience much pain while rolling my glutes and my hamstrings.  I felt a good bit of pain while rolling my calf muscles and excruciating amounts of pain while rolling my hips, my quads and ESPECIALLY my IT band. "Knights of Columbus that hurt!" I do realize that this is partially my fault, for not doing a good enough job of stretching my muscles, and I promise you I will be working on that!  You don't realize just how tight and knotty your muscles are until you roll them.

So rolling will now be a part of my running routine.  I will RUN<ROLL<STRETCH! And on days I'm feeling particularly sore, I will roll even if I don't run.  The key for me is to increase my flexibility and prevent injury.  I need all the help I can get in those departments. 

I expected to be bruised today, like E was in her blog entry, but surprisingly I was not. I find this really odd, because as stated previously in other blogs, I bruise like a peach.  And apparently I burn like toast, according to my brother Ron haha.  PROOF- my March sunburn from Sunday
My legs are very tender to the touch today, but otherwise they are feeling pretty good.  I have had a busy schedule and my legs have definitely been fatigued lately.  Running 4.76 Saturday, 8 miles Sunday, vball Sunday night, zumba Monday, and 5.1 miles Monday with Polish Josh meant my legs were T-I-R-E-D and needed a break Wednesday. I am not looking forward to rolling tonight, but no pain, no gain, right fronds?

Next on the agenda is the awesome snack I stumbled across (on pinterest) and decided to make yesterday. Okay, bare with me here... I know they sound gross... but I made Baked Parmesan Kale Chips yesterday.

I cut the recipe in half and used a little less parmesan cheese.  This were light, crispy and surprisingly flavorful.  I was shocked by how good they tasted!  Just go light on the cheese and olive oil and you'll have a crunchy, delicious, low cal snack. YUM!  EDIT: These are a good make then eat right away sort of snack.  Leftovers, not as good...

My last little comment.  Today I have on a belt AND I tucked in my button-up dress shirt AND I don't feel like a fat lard.  WOAH (said in my Joey Lawrence from Blossom voice).  I also had 2 people at work tell me I look skinny today. Skinny... me?  Skinny?  WHAT?  haha.  I wouldn't say I'm skinny just yet, but I definitely find the words of others encouraging to keep pushing myself.  I REALLY need to go clothes shopping though.  Everything is starting to hang on me and my clothes are not complimenting my frame. I guess that's sort of defeating the whole purpose of weight loss.  I just hate shopping and I hate spending money on clothes when I know I need to spend so much to get my house in shape (furniture, carpeting, air conditioning installation, paint etc).

So, this was probably my longest post, ever.  Have a great day fronds!

1 comment:

  1. good post sis!!!

    kale chips?! interesting!!!

    i need to try this roller device...my legs are like knotted rocks.

    andy and i were discussing that in a few weeks we need to schedule a weekend where he and i, and bubba and anyone else who wants can come over and help you with the house. Its gonna be a big brother carpet ripping, painting, patching, fixing, destructing kinda day...let us know how it fits into your schedule and we will plan something.

    mmm toasty.

    ReplyDelete