Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Sun Kissed

Yep, I straight up got sunburned yesterday.  It was GORGEOUS outside and I'm whiter than Casper.  I didn't even think about sunscreen application before my 8 mile run in South Park with Polish Josh.  I mean, it's March and it's Pittsburgh, I shouldn't be burning.  There was not a cloud in the sky and the sun was beating down on us for the hour and 20 minutes while we were running.  Obviously it's not a terrible burn, just a touch of pink, but it made me laugh when I got changed into my comfy clothes last night after volleyball.
I really had a wonderful weekend and got two excellent runs in as well. Friday I worked on the house.  Well I didn't really do too much work...4 loads of laundry, scrubbed the first floor bathroom from head to toe and organized the bathroom closest with all of my toiletry and towels stuff.  I also swiffered and vacuumed the rest of the house as well. I'm starting to adjust to this whole home ownership thing, but it's definitely going to keep me busy.  I also need to stop being so indecisive regarding color schemes for the master bedroom and the family room.  I need to get painting! Perhaps I will decide something this week and roll with it.  The weather will be nice enough to have the windows open to get some air circulating so that I don't die from paint fume inhalation.  
Saturday the boyfrond and I went for a run.  We set out to run around the neighborhood, maybe do 3-4 miles.  His knee and hip were feeling good so we ended up doing 4.76.  We did a lot of hills and it really felt great.  I was happy to see him not experience pain during the run, or after. We went out to a nice Mexican lunch at Mexicasa to use up a LivingSocial Deal before it expired Sunday.  Also watched the Pirates and then went out to dinner with his some of his co-workers.  After Red Robin, we went to see The Lorax.  It was cute, but nothing to really write home about.
Sunday Polish Josh and I set out for an 8 miler.  We could have cheated and done an easy relatively flat course, but we went off the main drag and ran some hills.  One hill was particularly terrible.  I'm pretty sure PJ was cursing me under his breath, but we both killed the hill and continued on the run.  Around mile 5 I used my first GU energy just to try it out to see what it was like.  Gosh that stuff is thick!  I really need to purchase a hand held water bottle to carry with me on long runs, especially sunny ones.  I hit mile 6 and was just dying.  I don't know why I ran out of fuel (I blame the oddly warm temperatures and the excess sweat) but I did and I was hurting, big time.  Thankfully, PJ was there to push me faster when I wanted to slow down.  I'm pretty sure I slowed him down a little but he kept yelling things behind him to keep me moving along.  I was happy to finish the 8 miles and walk for a while to cool down my muscles and my body.  Definitely my fastest long run yet.  8 miles in 1:22 with an average pace of about 10:15. Not too shabby at all! Only 8 more weeks until the big day!  How exciting!
I probably overworked my legs a little this weekend because Sunday night at volleyball I definitely tweaked my left quad.  Nothing major, but I really don't want an injury right now.  I'm going to take it easy at zumba tonight and try to have a more relaxing cross-training session, rather than kill myself.  I just can't risk a nagging injury now when I've put in all this time and hard working getting to this point.
I really had a stellar weekend and I definitely had plenty of smiles to share on this rainy Monday. 

2 comments: