Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

I spent $100 at GNC

Ya I know, 100 bucks at GNC is a lot...but I was stocking up on some goodies and stuff to make these delightful treats.  

I found the recipe on Pinterest (of course).  I've been looking for some ways to add more protein to my diet without adding more cheese/milk products.  I love having grab and go healthy items handy so that I don't snack on junk.  I figure these treats would be perfect for my lingering sweet tooth and still pack a healthy dose of protein, fiber and omega-3.  Here is the ingredient list:

2 c. of peanut butter
1 1/2 -3/4 c. of honey
2 c. of protein powder
1 c. of oats
1/4 cup of chia seeds  
The bars were easy enough to make and tasted good as well.  I think next time I will add a little more oats and less honey.  The bars were a little sweet to my taste, but the consistency of the bars was awesome.  They turned out exactly like Blonde Ponytail stated, and the fudge like texture was perfect. I am definitely also going to try them with the chocolate protein powder.  You can't go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter, right?  My dad also gave them the thumbs up, so that's a good sign.

WOMEN’S ULTRA MEGA® ACTIVE

GNC Women’s Ultra Mega® Active Vitapak® Program conveniently combines nutrients that support a woman's overall nutritional needs with focused ingredients to promote optimal health, joint cushioning and athletic performance.*
  • Women’s Ultra Mega® Active without Iron – Our premium timed-release, clinically studied formula includes vitamins and minerals to supplement key nutrients that may be missing in your daily diet. Women’s Ultra Mega® Active contains 1,600 IU of vitamin D-3 for breast and bone health and immune support, as well as, B-vitamins that are important for carbohydrate metabolism and energy production.* It's enhanced with 500 mg of bone strengthening calcium and joint cushioning blend with vitamin C, collagen and hyaluronic acid. It also combines a broad spectrum of cell-protecting antioxidant nutrients that also support immune health with key electrolytes that help regulate body fluids.*
  • Energy Enhancer – This clinically proven thermogenic formula helps to enhance your metabolism and improve your ability to burn more calories.* Includes a powerful combination of ingredients designed to help give you the extra boost of energy you need in your busy day.
  • Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) – A naturally occurring fatty acid derived from safflower seeds. Clinically studied CLA to enhance your diet and is a healthy source of natural energy.
  • L-Carnitine – An amino acid, L-carnitine helps to facilitate the metabolism of long chain fatty acids.* L carnitine is stored in skeletal muscles where it is needed to transform fatty acids into energy for muscle activity.*
  • Calcium 600 – This bone supporting caplet combines 600 mg of bone building calcium and 400 IU of vitamin D-3 to enhance calcium absorption
I've noticed that although I am exercising more and eating much healthier than before (I know I don't eat completely healthy but I'm getting better) I still don't seem to have much energy.  I am often still tired when I wake up in the morning after a good night's sleep.  I figured, why not try these out and see how I feel after a month.  So far I haven't noticed any ill effects; sometimes multivitamins can take a toll on my stomach.  I always take the vitamins with food and plenty of water.  They don't have the best taste in the world, but it's a small price to pay if they actually work.  I guess I'll report back in a month and see if I notice a change in my energy levels and such. 
Lastly I purchased the GNC Total Lean Shake- 25 in Rich Chocolate and the GNC Total Lean Shake in Vanilla Bean
They were buy one, get one half off so that's why I purchased two.  I know that it's important to get at least 10 grams of protein into your body after exercising to help repair muscles.  I am not usually hungry after I run, so I figured I could use these shakes as a recovery drink.  I can mix the shake before I go, throw it in the fridge, then when I return from my run add ice and give it a good shakey shake and enjoy.  I made the chocolate yesterday and it was actually pretty good. So here goes nothing!

Oh and if you're wondering about the NYC Trip and want a re-cap, visit Omar's blog here The Places Fade Away but not the Memory

1 comment: