Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Change

There has been a change in my running mentality.
I'm not sure why, how or even when it occurred, but things have changed.
I used to dread every run.
Every.single.run.
I used to attempt to talk myself out of running, trying to find any and every excuse to not hit the pavement.
I used to go into each run wondering if I'd even be able to finish the required mileage for the day without walking.
I doubted myself on every run.
Each time I stopped running to walk, I would get mad at myself because I knew I was physically and mentally stronger than I was acting. 
I was disappointed in myself.
Recently, things have been different.
I still often try to talk myself out of runs, but I rarely skip them anymore.
I've learned to just suck it up and go.
I actually think I'm starting to enjoy running (Wait, what?!)
I've gone from wondering if I would make my mileage for the day without walking, to wondering "how long it will it take me to finish this run", and even sometimes "I wonder how fast I can run this one"
There is no doubt in my mind that I will finish each run without walking; the thought of walking is no longer an option.
If I have to do 7 miles, I'm running 7 miles without walking, no matter how long it takes me.
If I'm having a bad day, then I'm running it slower, but I'm going to run the whole thing. 
I'm learning to push myself past my comfort level.
I've changed from "I wonder if I can do this" to "I'm going to do this, no excuses"

I have no idea what has caused this change in my thought process, but I couldn't be happier that it has happened.
I only hope that this recent mentality sticks and I'll do everything I can to keep it as my long run distance increases (DEAR GOD PLEASE LET ME KEEP THIS MENTALITY!)
Half marathon, I'm coming for you...I ain't scurrrrred no mo! 


If I can do this fronds, YOU CAN DO THIS. Just get out there and push yourself.  You'll be shocked at your own strength.  

1 comment: