Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

3 Run Re-Cap

I'm so behind on my blogging.
This will just be a short recap of my recent runs, just to get caught up!


Saturday April 14, 2012
This was my last long run before the marathon.  YIKES!  I can't believe how quickly this race got here.  
I was supposed to meet up with the girls in North Park to run the last one together, but I had some stomach issues the night before and that morning and running in North Park, far away from bathrooms, had me worried.  So I decided to wait it out a bit and attempt a run in the afternoon around my house.  I ended up doing a really hilly course around my neighborhood, not straying too far from my house just in case I had an emergency.
Omar ran the first 6 with me and then I was on my own for the last 4. My total time was 1:39:27. Here was the mile breakdown by average pace:


Mile 1 - 10:17
Mile 2 - 9:57
Mile 3 - 10:02
Mile 4 - 9:47
Mile 5 - 10:00
Mile 6 - 9:57
Mile 7 - 10:05
Mile 8 - 9:49
Mile 9 - 10:07
Mile 10 - 9:19

TOTAL AVERAGE PACE - 9:47

I felt like this was the most solid long run I've had during this training.  The back and forth jump in pace between each mile was interesting as well.  Kind of made me laugh a little. I felt strong during the run and also felt good running so many hills on a longer distance.  I tend to keep my longer runs on a much flatter course. My mentality during this run was to sit back and enjoy the ride.  I have put so much time and energy into training for this half marathon.  I have struggled through runs and over-analyzed every aspect of a run.  I've added foam rolling, dealt with injuries and tried to work on my form to make it more efficient.  I've been frustrated, sad and angry.  But the day is almost here, and I've gotta focus on trying to enjoy this journey a little more.  So that's what I set out to do on this run. With it being my last long run before the race, I tried to be positive and think about how far I've come in my training.  It actually seemed to help.  A positive attitude can do wonders mentally for a run.  Each time I started to struggle, I just thought about how this was my last long run and that the next time I'd be running over 10 miles, would be May 6th.  I also saw this post earlier in the week on Facebook and tried to think this way:
Each hill I ran, I tried to earn the downhill.  It really did seem to help, as silly as it sounds.  It was a solid run at a pace I was very happy with.

Sunday I played volleyball for 2 hours. Monday I went to Zumba for an hour and it kicked my butt; my back and abs are still sore today (pathetic).  Tuesday I played volleyball for an hour.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012
I had a very, very frustrating work day. I decided to take out this anger on my lunch time run rather than my loved ones. Yay for running and being an outlet for frustrations and anger.
I decided to do a timed 5k. I wanted to have an idea of how much my speed has increased since last year at this time. This Saturday is the Pirate Charities 5k.  Last year I ran the same 5k and PR-ed on the course at 30:12 with an average pace of 9:43.
Well this happened on Wednesday. Boom.
Average pace was 8:38!!!! AND this was a hilly course !!!!!!  !!!!!! !!!!!  !!!!!  !!!!
Needless to say, I was stoked.  My previous goal for this 5k Saturday was 28:00.  Time to re-assess that goal haha.  What an awesome feeling! I was beyond stoked about this run.  I was struggling to breathe the whole time and was giving it 90-95%.  I was congested (allergies?) and it didn't help with my struggle to breathe.  My goal for Saturday is 26:30.  Think I can do it? It's not going to be easy, but I'm surely gonna try!

Thursday, April 19, 2012
I took the day off work because I was taking the pup to the vet at 1:30.  I got up early and walked the dog and cleaned up the house a bit and before I knew it, it was later than 10 am.  I wanted to get in my 8 mile run, but in order to run 8 miles and get home in time to shower and drive to the vet, I needed to be running by 10 am.  I lost track of time, and didn't get on the road until after 11, so I set out to get in as much distance as possible.  I only ended up getting in 4.88 miles.  A little disappointing, but better than not running at all.  Sunday's 5 miler has now turned into a long run.  Oh well, it happens.  I did 4.88 miles in 46:35 with an average pace of 9:32.  I as very pleased with this time, even though this run was a bit of a struggle.  I think my legs were just tired from the week of exercising.

So today my legs are feeling sore and a bit tired.  I'm going to make sure to foam roll a bunch today and stretch.  I want these legs to be ready for tomorrow's race with Shay, Omar and Big Al.  We'll miss you Sarah! <3

PS  I didn't forget about my before and after post about the house.  I ordered a sectional on Wednesday for the family room and it'll be delivered next Friday.  I also haven't had the chance to get people over to the house to move my bedroom furniture upstairs to the master bedroom.  Once these things happen, I'll take plenty of pictures and post a little before and after blog of those two rooms!

1 comment: